Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Photoshop CS5

.
I'm upgrading Photoshop from CS4 to CS5 - received the software today. I've used Photoshop (not so expertly by any means) for a long time now. I think I got in on Version 4. My first thoughts today were about how much the packaging has changed. Not so long ago, Photoshop came in a much larger box with a large printed manual and many loose sheets of paper with special offers. This upgrade package was very light and consisted of a paper box containing one DVD. I expected to find, but did not find, a “Start Here” piece of paper. Finally, I just stuck the DVD in the reader and let it run; about 20 minutes later it was installed. Oh, don't throw away the small box that has the serial number on it!

For now, I'll be using the 32 bit version of CS5 in hopes that most of my plug-ins can be plugged in.

Strangely, the installation procedure did not automatically create a desktop shortcut but that was easily done from the Windows 7 Start Menu. On opening, the CS5 workspace looked about as expected. Clicking around a bit, there is a workspace named “Photography” so I selected that one.

Opening an old RAW file, Adobe Camera Raw seemed to work and to remember the previous settings for that file.

So far, so good. Now to change the defaults to my own preferences and begin installing those plug-ins.
.

No comments: